Click here to find your nearest branch or to contact us

Matters Usually Requiring Attention


Things to be returned:

You should return the following with a note of explanation and the date of death with each of the documents.

  • Order books, payable orders or giro-cheques to the Social Security office or other office which issued payment. This applies to a Child Benefit book which includes payment for a child who has died. Orders should not be cashed after the death of the person. It may be useful to keep a record of pension book numbers or other Social Security numbers before you send anything back.
  • The deceased's passport to the Passport Office. You can get an address from the Post Office.
  • The deceased's driving licence to Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency, Longview Road, Swansea LS6 7JL.
  • The registration documents of a car for the change of ownership to be recorded.
  • Any season tickets. Claim any refunds due.
  • Library books and tickets.
  • Any National Insurance papers to the relevant office.
  • Any NHS equipment such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, artificial limbs.

People to tell

  • The local social services department of the council if the person received meals on wheels, home help or day centre care or had an appliance or piece of equipment issued by the department.
  • Any hospital the person was attending
  • The family doctor to cancel any home nursing
  • The Inland Revenue
  • The Social Security office if money was being paid directly into bank or building society accounts - for example retirement pension, attendance allowance.
  • Any employer and trade union
  • Professional associations ie clubs or organisations
  • A child or young person's teacher, employer or college if a parent, brother, sister, grandparent or close friend has died
  • A car insurance company (if you are insured to drive the car under the deceased's name you will cease to be insured)
  • The local offices of the gas, electricity and telephone suppliers
  • The local housing department or landlord if the person who has died was living in rented accommodation
  • The local council Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit section if the person who has died was receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit.
  • The Post Office so that they can re-direct the deceased person's mail.

Insurance Policies

If there are any life insurance policies in force these will normally be found with the private papers of the deceased or they may be lodged in the bank or held by solicitors.

Immediate notification of death should be sent to the insurance company concerned with a request that they should confirm that the policy is in force. The insurance company will require a copy of the Death Certificate.

The insurance companies have certain requirements ie

  • The Policy itself
  • Sight of a copy of the Death Certificate
  • Proof of identity
  • Premium receipt book if applicable
  • Valid receipt from the legal owner

The valid receipt creates the most problems as in most cases the insurance company requires Probate or Letters of Administration prior to signature being acceptable.

Any changes in the Policy (house mortgage for example) must have been discharged. Industrial insurance policies or those taken out by a third party on the life of the deceased can be settled before Probate or Letters of Administration.

Examination of Trusts will be necessary prior to payment if the policy is in trust or assigned to trustees. It is considered that a client should consult his insurance agent or solicitor or bank manager and due to delays that are inevitable the bank manager may assist financially as a temporary measure

Motor Insurance

Insurance cover on a vehicle owned by the deceased ceases immediately at the time of death.

The next or kin or executor should inform the insurance company concerned who will offer immediate transfer of cover as appropriate. The vehicle registration documents should be returned in due course to the licensing authority for transfer of ownership to the beneficiary. The driving licence of the deceased should be returned to the licensing authority, for cancelling.

Wills and Probate


Probate and Letters of Administration

Probate and Letters of AdministrationIf it is known that a will was made, it is important that the contents be ascertained as soon as possible after death, as it may contain instructions regarding the funeral arrangements. A will may be among personal papers or with the bank or solicitor for safe keeping. If a solicitor has been consulted by the deceased in the recent past, it is important that you contact them without delay.

Before the estate of the deceased person ie everything they owned, can be realised and distributed among the persons entitled to share it, a grant of Probate or Letters of Administration is usually required.

Probate - where the deceased has left a Will and the Will is proved to be the lawful act of the deceased person then the District Probate Registry (of the High Court) grants probate to the executors named in the Will enabling them to administer the estate. Click here for more information on Probate Services

Click here for more information on Probate Services


Letters of Administration - where there is no Will, the person is said to have died "intestate" and here application must be made to a special division of the High Court usually by the next of kin. This can be dealt with either through a solicitor or directly by the local probate office. The Court, when satisfied as to the claim of the applicant, issues the document known as Letters of Administration appointing the claimant to administer the "intestate" estate.

Click here for more information on Letters of Administration


When someone dies you may need a grant of representation (Probate) to enable you to gain access to and deal with the estate of the deceased. If you do, or think you might, then:

You should either contact a solicitor who will arrange this for you (you will find local firms of solicitors in Yellow Pages) or You Can Do It Yourself

If you want to Do It Yourself please telephone, for information, forms and guidance:

The Probate & Inheritance Tax Help-line

0300 123 1072
Monday to Friday 09:00 - 17:00
Or visit


Property Valuations

Green and Company is a locally owned firm of estate agents that have been operating through their network of sales and letting offices since 1992.

They are a customer services focused business and we can deal with most property related matters ranging from the marketing of residential and commercial property to probate valuations.

Click below to view Green & Co's website

Green & Co's website

Consult a Solicitor

In most circumstances it is advisable for you to consult a solicitor both to relieve you of many worries and to take control of wills, problems of intestacy, outstanding debts, grants and letters of administration. A solicitor could save you a great deal of unnecessary trouble and eventually save you money.

Click to view the local solicitor websites:


Financial Planning

Losing someone may cause complicated financial situations. Financial planning can simplify the best solutions for you and your family by minimising Inheritance Tax, Income Tax and Stamp Duty, pension draw down and transfers, accessing and consolidation of investments, disposing or reconstruction of business, money and cashflow advice, confidential and professional support.

Financial Management Solutions provide a free consultation. Click to view their website:


The Will

If it is known that a Will was made it is important that the contents be ascertained as soon as possible after death as it may contain instructions regarding the funeral arrangements. A Will may be among personal papers or with the bank or solicitor for safe keeping. If a solicitor has been consulted by the deceased in recent past it is important that you contact them without delay.


Direct Marketing Association (Preference Services)
The Mailing Preference Service (MPS) is a free service set up 20 years ago and funded by the direct mail industry to enable consumers to have their names and home addresses in the in the UK removed from or added to lists used by the industry. It is actively supported by the Royal Mail and all directly involved trade associations and fully supported by the Office of the Information Commissioner.

MPS Registration: 0845 703 4599


The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organizations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive.


TPS Registration: 0845 070 0707


The Fax Preference Service is a central opt out register whereby businesses (and individuals if they wish) can register their choice not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing faxes. It is a legal requirement that companies do not send such faxes to numbers registered on the FPS.

FPS Registration: 0845 070 0702

The Email Preference Service is a global service allows you to register your email address so as not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing email messages.

EPS Registration:


Baby MPS is a service, which allows parents who have suffered a miscarriage or bereavement of a baby in the first weeks of life to register their wish not to receive baby related mailings.

BabyMPS Registration: 020 7291 3310



Disclaimer: Ian Hazel Funerals Ltd urges clients to support the advertisers but cannot be held responsible for the claims made or implied by the advertisers, for services offered or goods available.